[dms-discuss] 2015-04-13 DMS General Meeting Minutes
dms at dabrado.net
Mon Apr 13 20:02:00 PDT 2015
Here are the minutes from the meeting we had tonight.
The markdown is attached, and the HTML is output to:
-------------- next part --------------
- Meeting start @ 19:06
- Roll Call
- Board is present minus Bill, who will be late.
- Approval of previous meeting minutes.
- Seems to be fine.
- Additions to tonight's agenda?
- Bill wanted to talk about library.
- Update on potential sponsor.
- Officer Reports
- (President) Thanks to Rob and Adam for hosting the Art About.
- (Secretary) Nothing to add
- Insurance company hasn't cashed check yet.
- Once that happens, inflow won't quite match outflow...
- Committee reports
- Art About
- Perhaps should delay May event until June, since falls on same day of Whole Earth Festival.
- Perhaps Steve E. would be interested in a music-based Art About.
- (Rob) Some fun lighting?
- Let's do that soon.
- Perhaps later this month, to hopefully coincide with N+E being around.
- Key Committee
- No activity
- Suggestion of having some kind of marker for the RFID sensor location that doesn't call
attention to itself as a marker. Tim suggests fake bird droppings.
- Old business
- (Rob) Sandbox
- Met with Explorit, they are doing a round of fundraising for the sandbox/virtual watershed
- Will look into how to make a sandbox, something perhaps with extruded aluminum and
plastic(?); some discussion on that.
- First $5000 of fundraising will go to this project.
- Can start giving them a list of things to buy, and they will start to buy it.
- They have already supplied a cart to move it around.
- Theme of this project now seems to be "shaping watersheds".
- New business
- Can we plan for a new bulb?
- (Rob) motion to buy whatever the most cost effect bulb we can find, which is about $100.
- (Tim) was it used enough with the sandbox project that replacement parts could come via that
- Rob has permission by board to buy a bulb for around $100, to be reimbursed by the space.
- (Rob) who stocks the fridge?
- (Tim) does. They'll talk about restocking.
- (Rob) 4H projects
- Would like to lead a project involving electronics.
- 1/month for Saturday or Sunday
- People like the idea.
- (Adam) Workshops for high school students
- Teacher would be interested in having some students in to play with the 3D printers and
perhaps the foam cutter.
- Perhaps $20 / student, with the teacher matching it.
- Would be needing member(s) to help run this workshop.
- Some of the the 3D printers are working better than others.
- Would be for the summer; e.g. some time in June/July.
- First step would probably be to have the teacher meet with the board, and/or come to the May
- (Bill) About Sue @ Library
- Been working with groups of kids in Davis and Sacramento.
- Would like to make some "Maker Kits" for electronics and such.
- (Tim) What sorts of kits would she like? There are existing kits out there and Radio Shack
and Fry's; does she want something more than that? If so, what?
- (Jim) There are some existing curriculum out there that could be (re)used for this purpose.
- Aside: Could this be a budget model? Helping other groups with funding to put together
- Bill will be a point of contact with Sue.
- Adjournment @ 19:36
More information about the Discuss