[dms-discuss] This and that and the other, too

Roland Synnestvedt rsynnest at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jul 25 09:27:10 PDT 2014

Hi Tim,

Thanks for giving the space some TLC, much appreciated!
Regarding the video-game controller, if you are referring to the one that looks like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast#mediaviewer/File:Sega-Dreamcast-Cont-n-VMU.jpg I saw it on Monday, it is a Sega Dreamcast controller, and I happen to have an extra Dreamcast at home (it's a videogame console from 2001).
If it interests anyone, I can donate the console + controller(s) + "Virtual Memory Unit" to the space as a retro entertainment device (you can burn and play games straight from iso to CD-R, including Super Nintendo, Sega Saturn, etc). I was thinking of setting up a little A/V receiver for the projector, which this could then use.
The Dreamcast could also be open to hacking if someone wants to play with unfamiliar architecture (it is networkable and comes with a 56k modem).
These guys have some interesting and thoroughly documented Linux hacks - http://linuxdc.sourceforge.net/.

So basically, please keep the video game controller :)
I can also take it home if the Dreamcast idea doesn't interest anyone.

Thanks!
-Roland