[dcw] Name update

Darach Miller dchm... at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 12:22:22 PDT 2012

I still call the Bike Church the Church. Some people call Bike Forth the
Forth. Some call it the Bike Collective. These are different ideas of the
space, and are not set in stone.

The Bike Collective is the 501c3 organization, the one paying the bills. It
can accept grants on the behalf of informal groups, it buys insurance,
tools (infrequently). Bike Forth is the (still new to me) garage, new
people, and a different ways of running the shop using forms and price tags
and food. The Bike Church is a bunch of friendly anarchists hanging out in
a garage, with ministerial titles.

These mean different things (to me). I think y'all should grab the name
DavisMakerSpace, and use it for 501c3, urls, paperwork. Then you can call
the shop/projects whatever you want. Maybe a shop just east of downtown is
the Collabolab, with a more structured approach and more fab robots. The
FabFarm might be the welding shop, more on the edge of town with some
gardens and a scrap yard. Maybe the cool names ought to come from what the
project is, while the boring name is useful for boring stuff.

One name provides a rigid consistency that is easy to understand but belies
a dynamic and complex process of resource centralization. It is a shill
through which to interface with rigid structures like the IRS, the
landlord, and DNS.

Darach