[dms-discuss] Mindfulness & Computing follow up 4

Emily Schleiner cordial.emily at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 16:09:22 PDT 2017

Hello gang,

Thank you for attending the fourth Mindfulness and Computing workshop. It
was great to take the group through our ‘Collaboration’ day.

For anyone who missed this night and would like to stay caught up, we did
some mindful walking, did a guided meditation, and played a rousing round
of the game ‘One Word at A Time’, creating an improvised story by taking
turns saying each word. Dividing into groups, we built free-standing towers
out of spaghetti and marshmallows and ended the day with a
‘pair-programming’ type of exercise where we played Planarity with one
person ‘driving’ and the other navigating (
https://www.jasondavies.com/planarity/). All of the exercises were
interspersed with mindfulness breaks.

Goals for the day: Gently increase awareness of feelings and observations.
When interacting with others, practice deep listening.

A discussion topic that came up:
Is it possible to be mindful while working on certain types of puzzles or
collaborating on something?

We are venturing into unknown territory by trying to meditate throughout
puzzles that require a certain type of focus. By added collaboration into
the mix, the challenge is increased two-fold. The consensus from people
seemed to be that switching between these modes of operation was like
turning a switch off and on and merging wasn’t really possible. But that
the experiences were enhanced regardless. We are curious to explore this
topic more.

Mindful checkins can be a great way to release some tension and become more
aware throughout the day. The homework for next time is to do:

a two minute mindful checkin twice a day
or write mindfully for 5 minutes noting your thoughts, feelings, and body
sensations

Here are links to two 2 minute mindful checkin video:
https://youtu.be/w1EZ_hpnhDM
http://elishagoldstein.com/videos/mindful-check-in/

Have a great Halloween next Tuesday! (No Mindfulness Workshop that night.)

Next workshop day: Tuesday *November 7th, 7:30pm*
Topic:  *Physical Awareness and Care*

Looking forward to seeing you next Tuesday!

Thanks always,

-Emily and Rez