[dms-discuss] Summary From Last Week's Policy Roundtable

jefftolentino jefftolentino at davismakerspace.org
Sun Aug 9 19:59:26 PDT 2015

Hi folks

I wanted to follow up a bit on last weeks meeting.  First off, thank
you to everyone who attended the meeting and participated in the
roundtable discussion on policy.  In general, I thought it was very
productive.  There has been some continued uncertainty about the key
policy this year, and much of the evening was spent talking about keys
and how the group might better improve our key policy.  Here is a basic
rundown of what we discussed.

We started by looking through what we had on the DMS wiki.  Braden
pointed everyone to this page, which outlines the current key policy:
http://wiki.davismakerspace.org/Initial%20Key%20Policy

This policy was actually voted on in April 2014, and contains a lot of
good information on where the group was on the key policy last year. In
general, that policy lists out a few guidelines on getting a key, (i.e.
must be familiar with the group, must be contributing back to the space,
and must be approved by the key committee).  Last week's group generally
agreed that this policy should be maintained as a starting point for any
more formalization of the policy.

There has been a bit of confusion about whether the key policy should
accommodate new members who wish to make monetary donations to the
space.  However, the April 2014 policy explicitly says that donating
money to the space is a valid method of contributing back to the space
in exchange for a key.  This idea was further discussed at last weeks
meeting and everyone there was generally still on board with it.  It
helps bring in donations, and keeps the space more sustainable.  Last
week's group would by comfortable seeing it maintained, if we decide to
update the policy in the future.

The key committee has also has some difficulty with handling key
requests from new members who are not familiar with the space.  We
talked about this last week as well, and the idea of using a sponsorship
mechanism (basically, finding another member to sponsor new key
applicants) was reintroduced.   It was suggested that we consider adding
this to the April 2014 policy in a future update.

We also talked about ways to keep the space safe and secure,
specifically, how we can help control potential theft or accidents in
the space with new key holders.  The group discussed including a more
formalized orientation for new key holders.  A couple suggestions were
made on this front, namely having some sort of safety/orientation class,
and having a test for new applicants.  In general, most people at last
weeks meeting were on board with adding some sort of mechanism like this
to the key policy.  An orientation, along with our security camera, and
requiring people to contribute back to the space, would continue to
serve as the basic groundwork for theft and accident deterrence.

We also talked briefly about whether we should continue with having the
key committee handle the approval process.  We discussed having the
board approve keys instead, but didn't settle on any conclusions.

For now the roundtable discussion was primarily intended to gauge
peoples thoughts on the the key policy.  Its been a contentious issue in
the past, and there has been some desire to refine the policy.  No hard
decisions were made, but I'd like to incorporate the above ideas into a
draft revision in the coming weeks and put it up for consideration at a
future meeting.

If anyone has any additional input they would like to contribute to the
draft revision, please send an email to me or the general discuss list.
Thanks again to everyone who has helped out with the details of DMS
policy, (no matter how tedious).  As much as this work can be hard
sometimes, it ultimately makes for a stronger group and stronger space.

Jeff Tolentino