[dms-discuss] Nov ArtAbout due Fri

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Oct 23 16:15:17 PDT 2014

Ok, so how much space have I got, and what other things are people
bringing? :)

I'd like to bring one of my Atari 8-bit computers, and a 13" monitor
to go with it.  I've got a small box of cartridges for it, and
everything else is on a virtual, SD-card-based floppy drive
(that Tim helped me fix a few months back, in fact).

It would also make a lot of sense to bring an Atari 2600, since
people expect to see those.  ;)  I've got a 7800 that'd do the trick,
but it'll need a TV with RF input.  I've got a bunch of CRT ones,
of various ages & sizes.  However, cartridges are bulky.
I could simply bring my Atari Flashback, which is small, self-contained
(~40 built-in games), and hooks up via composite video.
Considering the length of the event, the limited selection of games
is probably not a problem.

I also have two Atari Lynx handhelds, and would be happy to bring
one or both; it's pretty rare to see them in the wild, despite how
awesome they are.

Outside of Atari, I have a variety of other systems that I could bring,
but I don't want to go overboard (for both you, and me), nor do I want
to end up bringing a bunch of redundant stuff.  So, considering whatever
else people are bringing, would any of these be interesting?
(No guarantee I'll bring it; it can be a hassle to unhook & pack-up
this stuff ;) )

 * Nintendo NES
 * Sega Genesis
 * Sony PSX
 * Sega Dreamcast
 * Sony PS2
 * Nintendo Wii

Finally, I've been doing talks on "Scratch", the programming language
for kids (these days used via Flash in a browser) -- I did one at
LUGOD, and will be doing one in my older son's 2nd/3rd grade class next
Thursday, and possibly at a friend's daughter's after-school robotics
club in Sacramento.  If you're interested in a presentation, I may be
able to do a short demo of Scratch, to show folks who show up for
the exhibit "look, you can do this stuff too!"

Whew.  Thanks, lemme know!

-bill!