[dms-discuss] Next meeting in the air rocket launcher project

timf timf at davismakerspace.org
Wed Nov 19 11:19:16 PST 2014

November 19, 2014

Hi rocketeers --

Our prototype air rocket launcher passed its tests recently (yay!), so
I created a spreadsheet of material costs for building that kind of
launcher. With that spreadsheet we'll be able to decide whether to try
to raise funds from launcher-building workshops. (Fund-raising was the
original idea for this project.)

The holidays are fast upon us, so I'd like to hold our next meeting
right away. The agenda would be:

1. Study the spreadsheet results

2. Decide what we would charge workshop participants

3. Decide if the workshop would be worthwhile as a fund-raiser

4. Make sure it is OK for a non-profit group like us to charge money
for a workshop, beyond the cost of the materials

If we decided that the workshop would NOT be worth holding or that we
could NOT charge for attendance, then we would:

5. Consider possible alternatives (for example, holding public events
where the general public could see and use several launchers, could make
and launch a simple paper rocket, and could donate money as they see
fit... given the success of the recent Video Night ArtAbout, these
public "Shoot-Offs" might be worthwhile)

6. Or maybe call it all a nice idea but not a practical fund-raising
method

So this email is a CALL FOR PARTICIPANTS. I propose that we hold the
meeting on Thursday, November 20 at the Space at 7:30 p.m. unless
anybody has a better alternative time and date.

I'd also like to hear from the Board and the Treasurer regarding item 4
above!

Thanks, all!

-- Tim F