[dms-discuss] DCN News: fiber broadband

Robert Nickerson rob at omsoft.com
Tue Apr 22 13:27:48 PDT 2014

Hi

I would...

  Do you think its feasible we request that whomever puts this in, it be
open to use by other providers already present in the City?

  Like Instaconnect, Omsoft and Cal.net? or other new companies that
want to sell over it? An open network type of thing?

I have desires and ideas to do this sort of thing, just don't have the
investors to fund it.

The first step would be to make a CLEC, which is a  phone/telecom
company. It can take about a year, but its a fairly straightforeward
process,  but then it can negotiate agreements with like ATT, PGE and
the City to get access to the poles.

If we  made a community based non profit type CLEC, that had all the
stakeholders involved through its membership and or board, it could be
the entity that takes on the debt to put in the project, and make sure
there are enough providers running over it.

Burlington VT is a good example

http://www.burlingtontelecom.net/About-Us/Burlington-Telecom-Advisory-Board

Thanks all for your thoughts
RAN

On 4/22/2014 12:34 PM, Jim Stewart wrote:
> Would anyone be interested in drafting
> a resolution in support of the goal?
>
> I would be.
>
> -jim
>

> Braden Pellett wrote:
>> Hi DMS peoples,
>>
>> I just saw this mentioned in the DCN email news update:
>>
>> ----- Forwarded message from Davis Community Network News
>> <dcn-news at mailman.dcn.org> -----
>>
>> --snip--
>>
>> 3. Citywide broadband fiber
>> This subject will be worth tracking. On the consent calendar of the
>> April
>> 22 Davis City Council meeting, item G asks the council to authorize
>> Chief
>> Innovation Officer Rob White to seek proposals to use "city
>> infrastructure
>> to install a communications network that provides ultra-high speed,
>> broadband fiber (gigabit and above), and other next-generation
>> communications services citywide."
>>
>> --snip--
>>
>> ----- End forwarded message -----
>>

>> Indeed, something work tracking.  Anyone have some good ideas on how
>> we might track that issue?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>    Braden

Rob Nickerson

CEO
Om Networks
UCD Class of 96
C: 530-848-3865

If we have helped you in a positive way, please give us a good
recommendation at daviswiki.org <http://daviswiki.org/Omsoft>, and/or
yelp.com <http://www.yelp.com/biz/omsoft-technologies-davis>.
Please like us on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/omsofttechnologies%22>. and put us in your