[dms-discuss] Grant Writing Workshop

Sarah Schrupp svschrupp at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 16 22:31:36 PDT 2014

Well, it appears that I am in Yahoo Hell until I figure out a new solution, so thanks for the tip.

Okay, so I didn’t really get any feedback about what the DMS
vision is although it is exciting to see that more things might be “hatching”
in time for the Tour de Cluck.

Whether for grants, donations or community longevity, DMS,
would benefit from displaying its cool stuff  (in the newspaper, open house, art about) all the while re-iterating its
vision.  With every article, DMS misses
an opportunity to impress its goals upon the readers although Emily/Nick/Lucien
has been doing a great job of getting a mention, btw.

So let’s talk about getting tools and community support -
Today I met with a ‘focus group’ of seniors (acquaintances only not friends, so
more objective 'cuz they didn’t  know
whether to trust me).  I explained a
little about DMS and asked what they thought about donating tools as they and
their friends downsize.  Guess what?  They were interested.  As it turns out, these are the very same
people who ran all the PTA’s, Davis Parent Nursery School, owned small,
downtown businesses, built the bike trails, etc.  If they could understand DMS, they’d
definitely convince their friends to donate tools.  If they understood it better and believed in
its vision, they might even donate money.

Here were some of their suggestions to get tools and build
DMS:
Speak to all the local business groups (they have belonged to
these groups, too).
Work with Senior Citizens of Davis, told me the Godfather of
Davis Seniors
Put together a flyer with something like ‘Rosie the Riveter’
but with a Donate message because ‘that would get people’s attention.’

So what issues did I encounter?
It’s a little hard to explain what DMS is or wants to
be.
Open Studio Hours aren’t on our site (they’re on the Wiki) - This
audience wanted the web address, wondered when they could visit.  They would like to see a 3-D printer, in fact, because they don't know much about them.
Is there a way to add a little mass appeal to the web site
without killing the spirit?
Our web site says: “Robots to Trebuchet”
Can it also say like “. . . and from beehives to techical
protoypes”?  It sends a message that DMS could help spur entrepreneurs, improve our community, etc.
DMS PR could use some additional Happy End User Stories/Photos –
I know these are a pain for James/whoever to get this stuff uploaded, but it
would help the support campaign.  Show them how DMS is changing the community, how we make a difference.

I will follow up with the Seniors Go-to-Guy and organize
a contact list of local nonprofits.  I
can put together a small flyer and am happy to schedule appointments for 15
minute community introductions with these various organizations, but does
anyone want to speak about DMS?  I can't speak to what DMS is offering or what it would like to offer in the future even
if it did have money.  Can anyone speak
to that?
I will stay with the seniors and see if I can get
DMS some tools.  Heck, my meeting group
was thinking they might just have some extra tools that they didn’t need.  In fact, they could all think of people that ought to
get rid of tools they were no longer using.

These people believe in DIY and community cooperation.  We should be able to get their support in some
capacity if we can package the message.  Can anyone point to a model hackerspace that is what DMS wants to be?
Sarah