[dms-discuss] Purpose and Mission

James R Holliday jrholliday at davismakerspace.org
Wed Oct 16 11:46:32 PDT 2013

Hey, makers.

We're at the point where it would beneficial to reiterate our purpose
and mission as Davis Makerspace.

Our Articles of Incorporation define our purpose:

"""
1) This corporation is a nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation and is not
organized for the private gain of any person. It is organized under the
Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation Law for public and charitable purposes.

2) The specific purpose of this corporation is to promote, support, and
advance technical, scientific, and artistic skills, innovation, and
invention through individual and collaborative projects, community
building, tool and resource access, education, and mentorship. Towards
this purpose the corporation shall engage in charitable, scientific, and
educational activities within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the
Internal Revenue Code.
"""

A bit wordy, but pretty encompassing: we help others build, we help
others create, we share what we have, and we teach what we know.

This is true for individuals and groups, private projects and community
art.  We can't be everything for everybody, but we can sure as hell try
to help anyone who asks achieve their dreams.

So, that's our purpose.  At least that's my vision and interpretation of
our purpose: a purpose defined and codified by all of us working together.

A few people have asked if we have a mission statement: a simple one
sentence description of Davis Makerspace.  You/we were so good at coming
up with our statement of purpose, let's open up the floor for mission
statements.

I look forward to your suggestions!

-James