Immediate proposal for no-cost publicity

Tim F davi... at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 2 10:10:52 PDT 2013

July 2, 2013

Hi gang --

Hey, maybe it was the heat, but I think that last night's monthly meeting was
GREAT... Not only did we discuss significant topics, but we also had new people
visit, a drop-off donation (a 3D printer! -- thanks, Dave!), promises of help
and discounts on 3D printer kits from Brook at Printerbot, progress reports on
the door system, formation of a team to build the Giant VU Meters project
(super thanks Emily and Mick!), suggestions for other permanent installation
projects, and a generally high level of excitement and activity!

Cool! (uh, Hot!)

I want to leverage that enthusiasm right away: I'd like us to design a simple
poster that we would print and tack up on bulletin boards around town by
this Thursday, July 4.

Goal: Attract people to our regular Friday evening open house meetings (all
of our summertime Friday evening meetings, not just Friday, July 5).

Title/Theme: "Hot Fun in the Summertime"

Content: Open invitation to the community to come visit us at our space on
Friday evenings, to see what we are all about.

Style: Simple -- text, plus our logo, of course!

Cost to group: Zip. Zero. Nada.
If folks approve, I'll whip up something simple in a PDF file. If somebody can
laser-print a few dozen copies on letter-sized brightly-colored paper, that
would be great. If nobody can do that, I'll pay for a small run at some local
copy shop (do we have any special friends at any copy shops, who give us
discounts?).

Schedule: Immediate. We could start posting them on bulletin boards around
town: The Davis Food CoOp, the library, City Hall, the Coffee House and other
locations on campus, the Davis Art Center, local art stores, pizzerias... any
other suggestions?

Assuming an OK, I will need a three specific details:

1) Will we be open this Friday afternoon/evening, July 5, 2013?

2) At what time?

3) What is the preferred way to describe our location? ("In the alleyway
behind Woodstock's Pizza", while accurate, isn't so attractive... sounds like
an invitation to a mugging...)

Thanks,
Tim