[dcw] Existing workshops added to our Daviswiki

Braden goo... at dabrado.net
Wed May 16 22:27:40 PDT 2012

Would it be okay with everyone if we went over the name at the Monday meeting?

"Davis Community Workshop" was meant only as a descriptive placeholder for very public things like the Davis Wiki and the flyers, where some people might have the wrong idea of what the "hacker" in "hackerspace" means.  There were a fair number of people who I've talked to who like the idea of the space, but when they heard the term "hackerspace" recoiled due to the association with black-hat computer hackers.

Presumably we will come up with a cool name that is neither "Davis Hackerspace" nor "Davis Community Workshop" (e.g. "Noisebridge", "NYC Resistor", others at http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/List_of_Hacker_Spaces ).  We can brainstorm these at the next meeting.

 - Braden