[dcw] 08/06/12 Meeting Minutes

Top Triode topt... at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 05:07:40 PDT 2012

Hi All,

Just wanted to chime in about 1615 2nd street. I've been renting 3 vehicle
storage spaces there for the past 12 years. The shop space was used by a
cabinet builder for many years and he was only there occasionally. The shop
is inside the vehicle storage yard and to gain access to the yard a key is
required to open a big heavy gate that is clumsy and has caused injuries to
most of the people who rent space at the yard. The shop itself is
uninsulated and has a low ceiling and so is rather uncomfortable during
extreme weather. However, the low rent is certainly appealing. Actually the
place has the lowest vehicle storage rent around. And the previous manager
(Ron's dad Ernie) and I had a talk about installing an electric gate to
replace the offensive one that is there now. Ernie already started building
slide rails and other hardware to make that happen. I told him I could help
with the electrical controls.

I saw the advertisement for the shop space a while ago, but thought it
would be less than ideal because of the gate, the need to give everyone a
key, and also because Ron or Ernie never intended the shop to be shared by
many people because the storage yard space doesn't really lend itself to
such use.

Anyway, it's worth checking out, despite my whole diatribe about it.


On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Rob Nickerson <r... at omsoft.com> wrote:

> Davis Makerspace
> August x 2012 Meeting
> Bike Forth
> Loose Minutes
> Present: Didnt really formally establish that.  Jordan, Larry, Angel,
> Darin, Steve, RAN, many others.
> Started: 7:10pm?
> Tim ? lead off with a show and tell on Raspberry Pi, pretty cool.
> These are very spare minutes typed up a week late, so sure have missed
> quite a bit.
> We talked about what to do next, first off a bit. Someone had a suggestion
> perhaps we pick different persons to chair and take notes at every meeting.
> People asked about having the space yet or not.
> Someone, Michael ? brought up that a space is available at $0.60 psqft at
> 1615 2nd St st. Its a frame warehouse, pretty basic but prolly only around
> $1000 per month. He has some space there which is is open and about 600 sq
> ft to do some CNC projects.Larry said its owned by Ron Head, someone he
> knows in town, so perhaps he can initiate contact
> We discussed a need  to assess what the community wanted to do wti hthe
> space, and the need to inventory it. Perhpas that is already there on the
> daviswiki.
> We discussed the box, and agreed to load Ubuntu on it, and have the people
> involved with that "build it" and get it to Om Networks.There was talk of
> forming a subcomittee dealing with computer technical matters to have root
> access, and others could be given accounts for project usage as needed by
> the "admins" Jordan and Holliday will put that together and be in nominal
> control of it.
> RAN Suggested we get a bank account, and the 2 basic documents needed to
> register a non profit, Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws where we design
> how our organization works legally. Then ultimately as well a business plan
> is needed for banks, sponsors, and other areas.
> Bank Account access was discussed, including some transfer protocol so
> there was always someone that could write checks. The Bike Church would be
> an example.
> Discussion ensued about how those could be developed, from looking online
> for examples, or getting an ecopy of the bike church documents as a model.
> The bike church did agree to be a financial sponsor to help us collect
> donation money while we get our 501c3 status, provided we showed them
> reasonably mature documents and decisionmaking.
> We talked about getting more women community members interested.
> Should we just jump ship and go into the sac hackerspace that has just
> been aquired?
> WE discussed next needed things, like policies and procedures for lending
> tools and using tools and the insurance needed for operations.
> Ask other locations for effective software choices, like Berkley tool lib
> or craft center.
> Larry asked about insurance for pick and pull type auto dismatler places
> and how they are able to operate with liability waivers in similar
> conditions of a dangerous work environment. Perhaps it is that level of
> insurance that is required for the space. Needs at least liability
> insurance, plus Directors M&O for non profits to help limit liability.
> Steve mentioned other dangerous places like the Crucible in Oakland as
> examples of similar places needing heavy insurance, and immunity waivers.
> But also that they generate significant workshop fees.
> We thought O'Reilly Publsihing might have pertinent information about
> opening maker spaces.
> Someone offered we go to the City of Davis to make our case and try and
> get a grant. Since we will be providing workshops and training.
> Once the organization is ready for consensus training, it is available.
> Only once so be ready. Have NAMI out to present people working there with
> training in working with mental health.
> Should we get a spread sheet going to see what people want from the space,
> and use that as a guide to creat individual policies for these functions
> and how they will be presented in the business plan. To make the
> organization self sufficeient to operate a space certain monies will need
> to be handled. This also influences the mission statement. This is  a
> crucial piece of the Articles of Incorporation and 501 C 3 filing. ITs a
> general blurb about what the organization does and plans to offer the
> community. Fictiious name statment needs to be filed, and the name secured
> at Secretary of State also for the filing.
> Holliday will take a stab at Articles, Jordan will look at makerspace.organd online for example Bylaws, RAN will check on insurance. We still need
> people to help work on a spreadsheet so we can get  a good idea of what to
> use for the space. Facebook poll maybe? So we can then develop policies for
> operations we will be carrying out. Plus this influences the business plan
> documents.
> Adjourned like around 8:20pm
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Davis Community Workshop" group.
> To post to this group, send email to davis-community-workshop@**
> googlegroups.com <davis-commun... at googlegroups.com>.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to davis-community-workshop+**
> unsub... at googlegroups.com<davis-community-wor... at googlegroups.com>
> .
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/**
> group/davis-community-**workshop?hl=en<http://groups.google.com/group/davis-community-workshop?hl=en>
> .
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.davismakerspace.org/pipermail/discuss/attachments/20120821/324a47fc/attachment.html>

More information about the Discuss mailing list