[dms-announce] April Meeting

James R Holliday jrholliday at davismakerspace.org
Wed Apr 9 20:52:42 PDT 2014

Greetings, Makers!

At the meeting, after a *very* constructive discussion, the vote passed
by unanimous consent of eligible voters.  The Key Committee will now use
that policy to guide their actions regarding key approval and
revocation.  For the benefit of those who couldn't attend, I've
highlighted (and paraphrased) parts of the that discussion here.  Think
of it as a chronological echo of statements made and questions asked...

Cheers!

----------
"Donating items or money is not reason enough to get a key."

"Maybe not a sufficient reason, but it could be one thing that enters
into consideration."

"Who decides then?"

"The key committee makes the final decision.  Money, tools, etc, all all
examples for consideration towards 'significant, responsible, and
repeated contributions'.  At least, that's my interpretation."

"Also, attendance is tied in."

"That's right.  You can't just buy yourself in.  A necessary condition
is being known to us."

"I've got to say, I don't find this argument persuasive.  But I can see
what you're saying.  Why is a financial commitment not equivalent to a
time commitment?  Persuade me $50 a month is not good enough for a key."

"Someone could simple pay for a key and then walk out with whatever
equipment they want."

"But that could be done through other methods, also."

"I'd need to consider the person, not the donation.  The key committee
needs to trust the person."

"Once we get expensive equipment, we need to better vet people.  We need
theft insurance.  We need a viable path for people to come in and use
the machines.  We need money for better machines."

"James: is the language in the proposed policy exact?"

ME: "I intended for it to be a set a rules to guide the KEY COMMITTEE,
to not be exact but rather something the committee can point to and
justify their decision."

"I actually like that there is a human element of people making a
decision.  That's the best safety system.  Also: if you're worried, you
can always ask to be on the committee."

At this point, the vote was called and all eligible voters approved.