[dms-discuss] Fwd: ElWarcha (the workshop) Davis mailing list

Robert Nickerson rob at omsoft.com
Tue Nov 19 21:28:30 UTC 2019

Hi All

I attended this first meeting last Thursday, here is a summary of it.

The drivers on this are 2 Anthropology Graduate students, looking to to
get some sort of community workshop-ing going in Davis. This ties into
projects they are working on and have applied/rec'd funds for.

The students are:
Justin -  El Warcha
Tory -  Sumud

There were some undergrads attending who were their students, plus a
couple of other graduate student "friends" of like mind, a cousin of the
guy who started El Warcha who happens to be located in Davis now, and
Dylan, one of the 3rd Space dudes.

These people seem to be pretty like minded types looking for a larger
community to make things, upcycle, teach, etc. I think if we still had a
space, they would have been a welcome addition. El Warcha, kind of seems
to be similar to Davis Makerspace, a community driven workshop where
people can engage in projects.

They seem very cool, and it seems like they, and the 3rd space guy are
keen on finding and sharing a community space. They 2 graduate students
will be receiving grant money to support their efforts, but not a huge
amount. Anyway, I think we'd all get along, and perhaps we can follow up
with them about possibly doing stuff out of the library too, if we are.
They seem to have energy to do stuff, see this tool bicycle trailer, so
if more of us want to come to their meetings, or what have you I think
we'd all be welcome and get along.

It's likely worthwhile to talk formally with them and Dylan about
joining forces to look for a space if you all want. He says there is
still a 3rd space BOD and they are still looking for a space. They also
are still getting community interest about it, and I think that is what
pulled him to this meeting. He did say that the spot we were trying to
look at, past the Ken's Bike and SKi is contaminated with dry cleaning
chemical and that is why it is not leased.

Apparently the Bicycle Hall of Fame could be coming lease able, has to
go to a community good style function, and we might want to pursue that
with them.  So looks like they are starting up and will meet again Thurs
if anyone wants to attend.

Thanks
RAN