[dms-discuss] Laser Cutter Fundraiser Meeting Update

Ryan McKay yakcm.nayr at gmail.com
Wed May 22 00:15:32 UTC 2019

I have been thinking on this, and I'm not entirely convinced we *need* to
decide on a specific model before the fundraiser.  I think we should shoot
for CO2, at least 60w, and as large of a bed as we can fit thru our door.
For the sake of the fundraiser we can just set some vague target at 3k or
more, and print out a picture of one like this
<https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01I1H3G04/> or something.  FYI, software and
control is gonna be just as important of a decision (if not *more*
important) as the machine itself, and a lot of machines might require
auxiliary hardware (ie a C02 laser is typically water-cooled, if you don't
have plumbing then you need an external coolant reservoir/radiator combo...
not expensive, but still something to be aware of)

While I was at MakerFaire this past weekend I checked out quite a few laser
cutter companies, got some business cards, etc.  There was one particular
company that really caught my eye, but all three of their reps were SUPER
busy so I didn't talk to any of them while I was there.  I did drop eaves
on their spiel and it seemed like just the kinda thing we need.  I'm
planning on making contact in a week or so, I'll give them a phone call and
explain that I overheard their pitch at MakerFaire, who we are, and what we
need.

The company in question <https://cohesion3d.com/> makes replacement
controller boards for Chinese or DIY laser cutters, which allow you to turn
cheap hardware with iffy software (like the one I linked above) into cheap
hardware with super-dope software.  It's akin to buying a MonoPrice 3D
printer and swapping the brains out with a proper RepRap board like a RAMPS
or Einsy Rambo controller board so that you can take advantage of
upgradable firmware and open source software.  One of the things I
overheard a rep there talking about was that he had previously guided
clients through the process of selecting a "cheap" Chinese laser and
pairing it up with their board so that they could have the best possible
setup for their budget.  I'm hoping a phone call with these guys will yield
some valuable insight, even if we don't wind up going with their offerings.

FWIW I don't like Glowforge.  That might be simply because they've been
BOMBARDING me with ads on utoob (their ads are SOOOO annoying) ever since I
started searching around for laser cutters for DMS... but also they kinda
remind me of MakerBot.  Anyone who was around in the RepRap scene back when
MakerBot took a previously open source product line replaced it with
proprietary stuff knows why they're scum.  To make the 3D printer analogy
again, I much prefer Prusa to MakerBot, and the Cohesion3D guys were giving
off big Prusa energy.  They seemed less like corporate suits and much more
like makers interested in helping fellow makers hack together a functional
budget laser cutter.