[dms-discuss] Mindfulness and Computing workshop series

Emily Schleiner cordial.emily at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 10:20:31 PDT 2017

Hey Davis Makerspace folks,

I hope everyone is doing well and staying cool! If the concept of
'mindfulness' isn't too California for you, read on...

This summer I'm putting together ideas for a 'mindfulness and computing'
workshop that will address some of the barriers to entry beginners face and
the on-going challenges long-time computing professionals face with regard
to their daily mental habits.

I'm hoping that DMS will allow me to schedule a workshop series one night
per week through the month of October. (I'll check the wiki to see when
there are openings.) Suggested donation will be $20 per person.

The workshop sessions will start with a 15 minute lecture. I will then walk
people through a meditation for another 15 minutes. We will follow this up
with a programming or other technical activity wherein we can practice
putting some mindfulness skills/tools into practice.

Night 1: Beginner: Fear of making mistakes
Night 2: Beginner: Living with Uncertainty
Night 3: Intermediate: Living with Uncertainty part 2
Night 4: Intermediate: Competition and Interdependence
Night 5: Advanced: Physical Awareness and Care
Night 6: Advanced: Vision and Big Picture

You don't need to have a specific level of computer literacy to attend,
however some beginner folks may choose not to participate in the
Intermediate or Advanced practice time if they feel it is detrimental to
their growth. You may skip some sessions and attend others. However, I
recommend attending all the sessions to get the most benefit. This is the
kind of skill set that builds from the ground up. This workshop series is
geared for people who would like to overcome problems that arise when they
work on computers for long periods, improve their quality of life, and
ultimately connect the creative sides of their personality with the
technical and analytical sides. This series may even help people grow to a
new level of skill and enjoyment in their careers.

If anyone has questions, suggestions for more topics, or any other comments
about the series, please feel free to contact me at cordial.emily at gmail.com.
I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,