[dms-discuss] water meter reading

Jeff Tolentino jefftolentino at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 2 09:53:00 PDT 2015

My water service is paid for by my landlord as part of my apartment lease, so I can't answer specifically to water, but for my PG&E service I can view hourly data within a couple of days through the PG&E website.  Its not an instant read unfortunately, so I can't turn on all my lights and watch the numbers change.  I did a little reading on the PG&E smartmeters though and it looks like they report usage via cellular communication, (and human meter readers have become obsolete).  I'm guessing that data is all encrypted so neighbors can't track eachothers usage.  I'd imagine PG&E can still get an instant read on our meters in the field for maintenance purposes, but you'd still need to be able to capture the cell signal and possibly break the encryption.  That or its accessed through a network downstream of the cell communication.

Either way, if there is a way to see my current usage, I'd be interested too!

Jeff