[dms-discuss] The VDSL2 at the Makerspace

Robert Nickerson rob at omsoft.com
Tue Jan 6 22:13:12 PST 2015

Hi

Does anyone mind If I order the new VDSL2 at the maker space?

Here is the thing. The speed cap on  that is 100 down/30up.

It works at very short distances.  Like it doesnt work past 4000 feet.
However. From the ATT CO the maker space is 2355 feet

Dane - the  CEO of Sonic.Net gets 50 Mbps/7 Mbps at 1700 feet. 2355 feet
might be like 35 down and 5 up. right now the space is at 16 down 3 up

If anyone  knows of a good VDSL2 speed versus distance chart or plot,
that  might be good to determine more accurate speeds.

We could get that for the same price we pay now, with the phone service
and same phone number, but, its a $90 investment in a new modem.

This is from wikipedia

VDSL2 permits the transmission of asymmetric and symmetric aggregate
data rates up to 200 Mbit/s downstream
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downstream_%28networking%29> and upstream
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstream_%28networking%29> on twisted
pairs using a bandwidth up to 30 MHz. It deteriorates quickly from a
theoretical maximum of 250 Mbit/s at source to 100 Mbit/s at 0.5 km
(1,600 ft) and 50 Mbit/s at 1 km (3,300 ft), but degrades at a much
slower rate from there, and outperforms VDSL. Starting from 1.6 km
(0.99 mi) its performance is equal to ADSL2+
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADSL2%2B>.^[3]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-high-bit-rate_digital_subscriber_line_2#cite_note-Tyrone-3>

This is probably estimates on PERFECT copper, and certainly not what is
delivered to the MPOE where we connect to.

I'd like to order it.

So board let me know if its cool.

So if this is good, or if we want to. We can order a dual-line bonded
version. Its cost would be approximately twice the MRC the DMS is paying
currently. So it would be about ohh....$105 monthly. However it would
give everone a space with a Very fast connection, and might be an
additional draw for more  community members to use the space in  2015.

Thanks All.
--
Rob Nickerson

CEO
Om Networks
UCD Class of 96
C: 530-848-3865

If we have helped you in a positive way, please give us a good
recommendation at daviswiki.org <http://daviswiki.org/Omsoft>, and/or
yelp.com <http://www.yelp.com/biz/omsoft-technologies-davis>.
Please like us on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/omsofttechnologies%22>. and put us in your