[dms-discuss] Next meeting in the air rocket launcher project

Robert Nickerson rob at omsoft.com
Wed Nov 19 11:48:01 PST 2014

Hi

ITs fine we hold a workshop and charge fees.

RAN

On 11/19/2014 11:42 AM, Nicholas Weigand wrote:
> I am not a lawyer, but my reading of the tax laws tends to indicate that
> this is fine for us.  The main concern seems to be whether or not the
> thing we are selling is "substantially related to the organization's
> exempt purpose."  I don't have our IRS paperwork in front of us but here
> is an extract from our bylaws:
> """
>
> The specific purpose of the Corporation shall include without limitation:
>
>     * Through talks, classes, workshops, collaborative projects, and
>       other activities, to encourage research, knowledge exchange,
>       learning, and mentoring in a safe, clean space.
>     * Provide educational spaces for teaching practical skills and
>       theory of technology, science, and art.
>     * Provide work space, tools, and other resources for projects
>       related to art, science, and technology for the betterment of society.
>     * To create, learn, and teach, individually and as a group, inviting
>       members of the community in the Davis area and the world.
>
> """ (sorry folks without rich text!)
>
> Imagine that we were simply charging an entrance fee to a workshop and
> not providing any materials - we would be selling something
> substantially related to our exempt purpose, that is, exchange of
> knowledge through workshops.  There are subjective limits to this sort
> of behavior, but I can't imagine it would be a problem for us in this
> instance.  Our main concern should be with focusing on making the
> workshop educational, as well as providing the space, tools, and
> research for this project (related to science/technology, etc.).  Does
> anyone else have any thoughts?
>
> I'm interested in coming to the meeting, but may not be able to make it
> on Thursday.  I'll stop in if I can.
>

> Nicholas
>

> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 11:19 AM, timf <timf at davismakerspace.org
> <mailto:timf at davismakerspace.org>> wrote:
>
>     November 19, 2014
>
>     Hi rocketeers --
>
>     Our prototype air rocket launcher passed its tests recently (yay!),
>     so I created a spreadsheet of material costs for building that kind
>     of launcher. With that spreadsheet we'll be able to decide whether
>     to try to raise funds from launcher-building workshops.
>     (Fund-raising was the original idea for this project.)
>
>     The holidays are fast upon us, so I'd like to hold our next meeting
>     right away. The agenda would be:
>
>     1. Study the spreadsheet results
>
>     2. Decide what we would charge workshop participants
>
>     3. Decide if the workshop would be worthwhile as a fund-raiser
>
>     4. Make sure it is OK for a non-profit group like us to charge money
>     for a workshop, beyond the cost of the materials
>
>     If we decided that the workshop would NOT be worth holding or that
>     we could NOT charge for attendance, then we would:
>
>     5. Consider possible alternatives (for example, holding public
>     events where the general public could see and use several launchers,
>     could make and launch a simple paper rocket, and could donate money
> [...]

Rob Nickerson

CEO
Om Networks
UCD Class of 96
C: 530-848-3865

If we have helped you in a positive way, please give us a good
recommendation at daviswiki.org <http://daviswiki.org/Omsoft>, and/or
yelp.com <http://www.yelp.com/biz/omsoft-technologies-davis>.
Please like us on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/omsofttechnologies">. and put us in your