[dms-discuss] Successful air rocket launches

timf timf at davismakerspace.org
Sun Nov 9 15:02:01 PST 2014

November 9, 2014

Hey rocketeers --

It was a gorgeous early afternoon at Slide Hill Park. Jordan and
Madeline came with Jordan's launcher, I brought James' launcher and our
prototype PEARL launcher, and Emily and Nicholas pedaled to the park to
help out. Weather conditions were perfect for testing paper air rocket
launchers, and several passers-by stopped and joined in.

We spent an hour having fun testing the launchers and rockets. These
launchers are awesome! They can launch an air rocket straight up about
ten stories, or across the width of the field when angled. That range
was attained with air pressure from a bike pump; only 45 PSI was needed
(and more pressure was counterproductive... sorry about exploding one of
your rockets with 80 PSI, Jordan!).

Nicholas was our RSO (Range Safety Officer), Madeline and Solomon (a
passerby with his grandfather Dave) counted down the launches and
retrieved the rockets from way across the field, and everybody got
chances to hit the fire button.

James' launcher DNQ'd (Did Not Qualify) due to a leaky valve. The PEARL
launcher seemed to work as well as Jordan's original MAKE-style
launcher; that was good news.

We tested different rocket designs, launch angles, air pressures, and
launcher battery voltages. Jordan suggested that the PEARL's launch
angle should be adjustable; I'll think about simple ways to do that.

Dave was ready to sign up for a workshop to build a launcher, so our
next step will be to figure out the parts cost. Then we'll plan the
first workshop.

Thanks to everybody who attended.

Exciting times! I'll keep you posted.

-- Tim F