[dms-discuss] Door balky

timf timf at davismakerspace.org
Tue Dec 23 19:08:08 PST 2014

December 23, 2014

Hi gang --

As happens about this time of year, the door at the space is a little
hard to unlock or to lock, whether you use the electronic system or a
physical key. It happens when the weather gets cold and the humidity
changes (the whole building shifts, things change size, etc.).

I will try to adjust the lock soon, to lessen the sticking.

In the meantime, I found that it worked better if you held onto the
outside doorknob, lifted upwards, and pushed on the door. That helped
for both locking and unlocking.

Slamming the door when locking it does NOT help, and probably makes
things worse.

It's also definitely NOT good to leave the door open during rain, since
water gets into the mechanism.

Have a nice holiday, everybody!

Best wishes,
Tim F