[dms-discuss] Media Server

Roland Synnestvedt rsynnest at ucdavis.edu
Mon Aug 11 17:38:18 PDT 2014

Hey Braden,

In answer to your questions:
> Do you happen to have a recommended way for me to stream music to it from my linux laptop?

Well, it does support DLNA/UPnP streaming, which seems to be the best way to directly stream from pc to pi.
I believe PulseAudio has some options for this
    -- See Option 4 here: http://westmarch.sjsoft.com/2014/04/streaming-audio-linux-to-raspbmc/
If you're not using PulseAudio, there may be similar options on other sound servers.

There is also a media server app thing called Plex, which has a plugin for XBMC (the OS on the pi) .
You would need Plex on your laptop, and the pi could then use the Plex library on your laptop as a media library.
I believe you can control this from your laptop, but you might need to control it from the pi.
I will look into it and get back to you with my thoughts.

> Also, I can give it a static IP and local DNS entry.  Do you have a particular name you'd like for it on the network?

Feel free to set up the networking, I was a bit rushed when I did it.
I did give it a static IP but I did it through the second router (which I'm now using as a switch).
Static IP probably needs to be done at the first router, which is the one acting as the DHCP server. (DHCP disabled on the switch)
You can name it Makerspace-OpenElec or something along those lines (OpenElec is the xbmc/linux flavored OS).

-Roland

Do you happen to have a recommended way for me to stream music to it from my linux laptop?

Also, I can give it a static IP and local DNS entry.  Do you have a particular name you'd like for it on the network?

Thanks,
  Braden