[dms-discuss] electronic keys are down, for now

Tim F davispcug at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 22 15:34:19 PDT 2013

October 22, 2013

Hi Braden and all --

I stopped by the space this afternoon and noticed that the automatic deadbolt mechanism was damaged. I found some of the pieces on the floor, bought others, repaired the mechanism, and while testing it I saw that the BBB would not stop trying to unlock the deadbolt. Since that is not an acceptable failure mode, I unplugged the BBB, left voicemail for Braden, and told Nick.

The deadbolt mechanism still is live and still works, so if somehow somebody is in the space without a key and needs to leave, they can still push the button on the mechanism to make it lock the deadbolt.

Later I received Braden's email and learned of the BBB bug (would that be a BBBB ?). It seems unlikely that nonstop attempts to unlock the door would make the mechanism come apart. But I'll keep an eye on the mechanism nontheless.

Cheers!

-- Tim F