[dcw] Fwd: Invitation to speak at the Linux Users' Group of Davis

Tim F davi... at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 8 13:43:05 PDT 2013

October 8, 2013

Hi Braden --

Here is some more information on what we can do at LUGOD. Would you please pass it along to Bill (edit it if you want)? Thanks!

"We will demonstrate a "Printrbot Simple" 3D printer, successfully assembled by a group of novices from a $300.00 kit made by a local company. We will also explain and demonstrate the process of using Linux software for 3D printing. That includes getting designs for 3D-printable objects, either by downloading free designs from the Web, or by designing them ourselves using free Linux software such as OpenSCAD; and it includes actually controlling the 3D printer using more Linux software such as Slic3r and Pronterface.

We will also briefly talk about Davis Makerspace, a free local resource for all kinds of creative people. Our space has 3D printers and other tools used by makers; and most importantly, it has knowledgeable people who love sharing their expertise and enthusiasm about all things geeky, including Linux."

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Tim F