Explanation of Halloween Mask Project

Tim F davi... at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 28 22:31:56 PDT 2013

August 28, 2013

Hi ho, Halloweeners! --

Hurrah for Jeff, for stepping into the line of fire and volunteering to make
the master sculpture for our Halloween mask project! I have seen the masks that
Jeff is working on, I've seen his drums and his banners, and I feel very
confident that his Halloween mask design will be top-notch!

At the same time, being an inclusionary sort of group, I would be delighted
if other people also came up with designs. We'll implement Jeff's design first,
and if we have the time, supplies, ability, and good designs, we'll implement
others, because the equipment can be used for more than one design.

Given that we need to move fast on this project, but that we can't meet in the
next few days, I'm going to try to describe IN TEXT that which I would have
preferred to draw on our gleaming white board.

(See the attached text file.)

Those of you who are still with me after reading that text file will realize
that we ought to be able to create more than one "negative mold", so that we
could "stamp out" (or more accurately, "suck out"... but that sounds awful)
several different mask designs. It only takes a few minutes per mask.

The finished negative mold is about twelve inches square and nine inches tall.
If stored properly, it could last for years.

The heater and vacuum pump are not very large, so it shouldn't be a problem
to keep the system at the space. It's also small enough that we could take it
to some other place to make the masks... fun!

Making the negative mold takes water and is messy. We might do that part in
my garage the first few times, until we learn and document just how messy it
is.

Anyway, it's Full Steam Ahead!

-- Tim F