[dcw] August Meeting (Monday 08/05) possible agenda item

Top Triode topt... at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 04:00:26 PDT 2013

Hello Makers,

I'm involved with a local Davis-based organization that helps other
non-profit groups secure and protect low-power FM radio station permits and
FCC licenses, mostly to prevent the scarce channel allocations from being
taken up by larger organizations. Our group is called "Common Frequency"
(CF).

I would like to know if this maker community would be interested in hosting
a new low-power FM radio station in Davis. Common Frequency would take care
of all costs, applications, and filing paperwork to get things started. All
we need is the name of a legit non-profit org with a Davis mailing address
to put on the application. CF has already filed applications for over 30
radio stations in and around the USA.

Please see our website:

http://www.commonfrequency.org/

CF is funded by donation with the main purpose of maintaining democratic
use of the broadcast spectrum.

The FCC deadline for the current filing window is coming up in mid-October.
After that, the application opportunity will be lost for an indefinite
amount of time.

We are looking for at least two qualifying non-profit groups in the area
willing to participate.

There would be no obligation to actually set up a real radio station- the
main purpose of this request is to simply secure the permit and frequency
allocation. However, there would be nothing to stop the Davis Makers from
setting up an actual licensed radio station, should the permit be granted,
and I would be happy to help with such a project.

I'll try to come to the Monday meeting.

Mark