[dms-discuss] 3D printer - print failure issue

Bill King bking94618 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 16:09:11 UTC 2023

Steve,
After discussing the printer issue with you yesterday and the
possibility that excess heat was causing the filament to break, I put
together a quick and dirty "thermometer" using an Arduino Nano, an IR
contactless sensor (MLX90614) and a 7 segment display.

Do you think this might be useful in trying to further diagnose the issue?

Possible enhancements:
Use 2 sensors to track the temp for each nozzle to compare
Use the sensor to activate a small fan at some temperature threshold.

It's just a breadboard hack at this point but could be packaged if you
think it'd be useful. It would also need a way to mount the sensors on
the printer. I think it needs to be fairly close.

From:
https://lastminuteengineers.com/mlx90614-ir-temperature-sensor-arduino-tutorial/

"The field-of-view of the MLX90614 is cone-shaped and relatively wide:
90°. This means that for every 1cm you move away from an object, the
sensing area increases by 2cm. If you are one foot 30cm (approx. 1
foot) away from an object, the sensing area will be 60cm (approx. 2
feet)."

Bill