[dms-discuss] water meter reading

Bill Broadley bill at broadley.org
Thu Jul 2 16:48:11 PDT 2015

Generally it's recomended not to attach anything to a meter you don't own
and might well be suspected of foul play if caught.

I emailed the davis water folks and they mentioned that Davis is switching
to fully automated meter reading in 2017 and that should allow hourly
reading instead of montly.

I suspect 2017 is the roll out for the wireless infrastructure to read all
meters in real time.  I do wonder if a cheaper $15 software defined radio
(SDR) could read it today.

I've wanted to tinker with a SDR, but didn't really have a use case.  So
maybe a SDR + raspberry pi could manage it.  I'll see if I can figure out
the part number of my meter and see what kind of info I can find.  I'd
certainly consider monitoring relevant frequencies for a few months to see
how the city polls my meter.