[dms-discuss] Maker Faire notes from other Hackerspaces

Robert Nickerson rob at omsoft.com
Wed May 21 17:17:07 PDT 2014

Hi

I really enjoyed reading this. Its an excellent contribution.

Thanks for taking your time to do it.

RAN

On 5/21/2014 12:34 PM, sarah schrupp wrote:
> Got to chat up other Hackerspace folks.  Full disclosure, few data
> points; not a tinkerer, so questions were about running/organizing a
> community, and also, don't have friends in other communities like some
> of you might.
>
> Take home points were derived from people who strongly believe in the
> hacker community concept; many were still wildly enthusiastic, some
> were still believers but no longer, wide-eyed but a few were nearing
> mental collapse, yet still clinging to the positives of what a hacker
> community could offer.
>
> Surprisingly, financing according to several, was not the biggest
> issue.  In fact, some mentioned that eventually, the money started
> streaming in, but rather, keeping the organization healthy was the
> biggest hurdle.
>
> Some advice from volunteers/organizers:
>
> *Take the opportunity to build structure into a small organization
> before it gets too large, and don't be afraid to moderate policy as
> needs change. * No policies and no enforcement leads to chaos as well
> as creates physically unsafe and socially toxic environment.
> (Stories about people not being willing to engage law enforcement when
> really necessary.  Other related issues, lack of machine/tool safety
> tests, pets, squatters, drugs, theft and whether 24/7 ends up being
> good idea.  Some spaces will not permit sleeping, for instance.
>  Another suggested eventual space location could be out of city center
> but adjacent to bus stop, for example, become a destination, not a
> pass through.)
>
> *Partner with other non-profits.*  They gave many instances where
> reciprocation had been invaluable, sharing funds,grants, reaching
> public, getting support, trading resources et cetera.
>
> *Consider core objective of this hackerspace; *what does this
> community need?  If not much equipment to meet goals, then easier to
> insure and maintain safety.  In one instance, the "big tools" are the
> 3-D printers (upgraded from DMS ones, the $2K models) and some cnc
> mills.  (Could concentrate on fundraising just for those specific
> pieces of equipment.)
>
> *Collect but screen donations else DMC will become toxic waste site.
> * Be clear about what DMC wants to accept - for example, old Apple II
> computers are interesting and could be restored for a museum but are
> not really a part of the DMC vision.  Some donations, like a
> jackhammer and compressor, are too large or out of scope for
> hackerspace, but would be perfect for a partner non-profit, i.e.
> habitat for humanity, who later might help construct a wall or something.
>
> *Focus on youth and families if possible to create a healthier
> financial and social environment. * Kids and families bring money,
> safety, civility, grant financing, volunteers and resources into the
> community.  Parents will spend a lot of money helping their children
> learn but won't participate if the environment is unsafe or otherwise
> [...]

Rob Nickerson

CEO
Om Networks
UCD Class of 96
C: 530-848-3865

If we have helped you in a positive way, please give us a good
recommendation at daviswiki.org <http://daviswiki.org/Omsoft>, and/or
yelp.com <http://www.yelp.com/biz/omsoft-technologies-davis>.
Please like us on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/omsofttechnologies%22>. and put us in your