[dms-discuss] bicycle themed art about

Tim F davispcug at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 16 13:07:59 PDT 2014

April 16, 2014

Hi Emily and all --

I like your ideas about bikes and suchlike contraptions!

>>>  Something having to do with bicycles and  chicken, am I right? (Tour de cluck)

Just to let you know, the Tour de Cluck is almost all about visiting the chicken coops that people in Davis have, and the bike part of it doesn't really seem to be a major point of the event.

Mostly I get the impression that the tour organizers want people to tour all the chicken coops. Encouraging them to use bikes is a lot nicer than having them drive cars. Our next-door neighbors are into it big time; last year several hundred people came to their house to see their coop... if they'd been in cars, it would have been a major disaster. But as it is, people spend a pleasant day pedaling around town from site to site on the tour.

So if we had something that was MOSTLY  about gadgets and/or bikes instead of mostly about chickens, we MIGHT confuse SOME people who are really into chickens and don't care much about bikes, much less gadgets.

But I think your idea could work very well if it made an explicit connection between chickens, bikes, and gadgets. Maybe you could whip up some strutting-chicken images for your zoetrope? In the style of Eadweard Muybridge? Or the "egg rolling down a chute" sequence could be great!

Fun stuff -- thanks!

-- Tim F